Quick Links

Useful Links

Kings Heath Boys

Parent Pay Email Login




SEND Policies

View our SEND policies below


The hub

Our learning support, wellbeing and intervention space

The Hub





A range of specialist interventions to support the academic, social and personal development of our students

Hub interventions





SENCo (ID 1032)

SENCo: Ms S McKoy  s.mckoy@khb.bham.sch.uk

SENCo: Ms J Hewston -  j.hewston@khb.bham.sch.uk


At Kings Heath Boys, each student’s current skills and level of attainment are assessed on entry.  We use this data, with any other information from previous schools, to decide whether students require Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND) support.

Through regular assessment, we are able to identify students who are making less than expected progress for their age and individual circumstances.  Where a SEND need is identified, steps will be taken to ensure that the student is able to access their learning and make progress. This may include:

  • Liaison with parents
  • Targeted in-school intervention
  • Advice and/or involvement from external agencies, such as Pupil and school support, Educational Psychology service, Speech and Language service etc.
  • Referral to external services, such as NHS services and Forward Thinking Birmingham



The SEND Information Report outlines our provision for pupils with SEND and how we will implement our SEND Policy. 

1) What kinds of Special Educational Needs does Kings Heath Boys make provision for?

Our first response to supporting students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) is to provide high quality teaching which targets a student’s area of weakness through a personalised and differentiated curriculum. If a student still continues to make less than expected progress the Learning Support Team will assess whether the student has SEN. Any student identified as having a learning need will have at least one of four broad areas of need. This enables us to make sure we are taking appropriate action to support a student’s needs. On the following page, you can see the four broad areas of need and the interventions we put in place, as a school, to support them.


2) How does Kings Heath Boys identify and assess SEN?

At Kings Heath Boys we endeavour to ensure each student with SEN gets the support they need. Subject teachers are responsible for the progress and development of students in their class, including the support given by Teaching Assistants or external agencies. High quality teaching, differentiated for student’s needs, is the first way we respond to students who have SEN. Additional intervention and support can not make-up for a lack of good teaching. To support this, teaching at Kings Heath Boys is regularly reviewed. We have a thorough teacher training programme to ensure teachers understanding of strategies to support and identify vulnerable students and their knowledge of SEN is up-to-date. When a student is identified as having SEN we use a four-step process to ensure barriers to learning are removed and effective provision is put in place. This process is known as the ‘Graduated Approach’ and ensures that parents and students needs are at the centre of all provision provided.



3) How does Kings Heath Boys know how much progress is being made by students with SEN?

At Kings Heath Boys we have rigorous assessment procedures to ensure we are keeping track of student’s progress throughout their time with us. Each term parents will receive a report on their son’s progress. Parents of students who are identified as having Special Educational Needs will be invited into school three times a year to talk about their son’s targets and review the progress he is making towards them. These meetings will be based around scheduled meetings planned in school such as Parents’ Evenings and Target Review Day. At least once a year, parents of students with SEN will be invited into school to attend their son’s annual review.

4) What extra-curricular activities can a student with SEN access at Kings Heath Boys?

At Kings Heath Boys we work hard to ensure that students with SEN engage in the activities of the school alongside students who do not have SEN. We will try to make sure that students with additional needs are able to take part fully in school visits and events. We pride ourselves on being an inclusive school. In addition to the school curriculum, many subject areas run educational visits to enrich the experiences our students have. The school also runs an exciting enrichment programme, after school, where all students have the opportunity to broaden their experiences outside the curriculum. No student will be excluded from extra-curricular activities on the basis of SEN.

5) Does Kings Heath Boys have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator? If so, who are they and how can I get in touch with them?

The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at Kings Heath Boys is, Miss Deans. She works with students, teachers, parents and external agencies to ensure that students’ needs are being met. Miss Deans works in school every day and can be contacted on 0121 464 4454 or n.deans@khb.bham.sch.uk. She will be happy to make an appointment with you to discuss any concerns or questions you may have about SEN at Kings Heath Boys.

6) What training do the staff at Kings Heath Boys have?

Miss Deans will ensure that all necessary staff are aware of students’ specific special educational needs. She and the Assistant Headteacher for Learning & Teaching work closely together to plan staff training throughout the year. This thorough training programme ensures teachers understanding of strategies to support and identify vulnerable students and their knowledge of SEN is up-to-date. This training is run by school staff with specialist experience as well as by external agencies. Recently, teaching staff have received Level 1 Autistic Spectrum Concern Training from the Communication Autism Team. There have also been sessions on sensory needs, asthma, epilepsy and Epipen training. Our Teaching Assistants have received specialist training in Autistic Spectrum Concerns, Visual and Hearing Impairment. They work with teaching staff to ensure that students with SEN can access the curriculum.

7) How does Kings Heath Boys get more specialist help for students if they need it?

In our school when a student continues to make less than expected progress, despite support and interventions that are matched to their area of need, we will consider involving specialists or external agencies. Whenever we think specialists should be involved we seek parents’ permission first. Following a meeting or assessment with a specialist we will share what was discussed and/or agreed with the parents and teachers of the student. If we feel a student needs more specialist help we can work with the people on the following page to get this.

8) How are parents of children with Special Educational Needs involved in the education of their child? How are students with SEN involved in their own education?

Kings Heath Boys will provide a report on their son’s progress every term. Where a student is receiving SEN support Miss Deans will be in contact with parents regularly to talk about their son’s needs and the activities and support they will receive to help them make progress towards their agreed targets. These discussions will help us identify the responsibility the parent, students and the school have towards the best outcomes for the student. We hope that these discussions will strengthen the impact of the support we give in school by increasing parental engagement. If we think a student with SEN needs extra support from outside specialists, parents will always be asked for their permission. Students will always be included in discussions about their needs, targets and progress. Students with SEN will always have a safe and inclusive area to go to within Kings Heath Boys if they are not happy or have particular worries or concerns. Students with SEN will regularly attend intervention and social sessions in The Hub and will know Miss Deans and the Teaching Assistants very well. Along with their Learning Development Manager, they will always have someone to talk to. This will ensure their views are heard and incorporated into their targets.

9) If a parent of a child with Special Educational Needs has a complaint about the school, how does the governing body deal with the complaint?

At Kings Heath Boys we will always work closely with you to try and solve any worries or complaints you may have about your son. If you are not entirely happy you should contact the Headteacher, Mr Etheridge, who will work with you to resolve the issue. For further information please see our Complaints Procedure on the school website.

10) How does the governing body involve other people in meeting the needs of students with Special Educational Needs, including support for their families?

The governing body has a duty to ensure that the school adheres to the SEND Code of practice under the Children & Families Act 2014. This means that the school governors hold the Headteacher, Mrs Orton, and the SENCO, Miss Deans, to account.

The governing body appoints a governor who is specifically responsible for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. One of the key responsibilities of the governing body is to make sure that the schools policy for students with SEND is published on the school website. This information must be reviewed annually by the governing body.

The governing body also has a responsibility to ensure that appropriate safeguarding procedures are in place for all students, including those with SEND. You can find these policies on our school website.

The governing body, through the SENCO, ensures that other appropriate agencies are involved in meeting the needs of students with SEN. The SENCO reports regularly to the governing body regarding the number of students and their additional needs.

11) Who are the support services that can help parents with students who have SEN?

To see the different support services that can help you, have a look at the table on page 11 & 12.

Agency Who they work with How we get in touch
Pupil School Support Pupil and School Support work with schools and other educational settings to help pupils with cognition and learning difficulties achieve to the best of their abilities. 0121 303 8288
Educational Psychologist Educational Psychology provides professional psychological services for children, young people and families in a wide range of educational and community settings. They use the expertise of psychological theory and research to develop an understanding of even the most complex situations, addressing a wide range of child and adolescent developmental issues, including special educational needs. 0121 303 8288
Communication Autism Team The Communication and Autism Team are an educational service, part of Access to Education, working in schools and settings to support children and young people on the Autistic Spectrum (AS) and its associated difficulties, including the reduction of stress and anxiety amongst children and families with an AS Disorder. 0121 675 5057
Sensory Support: Hearing & Visual Impairment Sensory Support is a team of specialist staff working with children and young people with hearing or visual impairment at all stages of their educational development; in homes, early years settings, mainstream schools, special schools and colleges. Their purpose is to minimise the impact of a sensory impairment on a pupil’s learning and development and to raise attainment. 0121 303 1793
Speech & Language Therapist The Children’s Speech and Language Therapy Department provides a citywide service to children and young people with communication difficulties. They are there to: - Assess the communication skills of the child to identify areas in which they need help - Work with families to identify how best to help the children communicate to their full potential - Work with the child individually or in groups, dependent upon their needs. - Support parents or school staff where there is a need to communicate more effectively with children, by helping them to adapt the way in which they give information 0121 466 6256
Forward Thinking Birmingham (formerly known as CAMHS) Birmingham is a large city with a range of Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services that aim to support, help and intervene with children and young people who are experiencing emotional and mental health problems. Services are provided by a range of staff including Social Workers, Psychiatrists, Mental Health Nurses, Primary Care Mental Health Workers, Psychologists and other therapists. 03003000099
Children’s Services Concerns about student’s well-being and safety. 0121 303 1888
Child Development Centre Some children with physical or developmental delay will need additional help, support or intervention in order to reach their potential. If children show delay in development in two or more areas, for example physical development and speech development they may need to be assessed at the Child Development Centre. 0121 466 3450
Special Educational Needs Assessment & Review Service (SENAR) SENAR, the Special Educational Needs Assessment and Review Service, is responsible for the administration of the procedures related to the assessment and statementing of children by Birmingham City Council. 0121 303 1888


12) How does Kings Heath Boys support students with SEN through transition?

Kings Heath Boys works with schools, colleges and other settings to support students through transition from one educational setting to another. If your son is moving from Primary to Secondary school, we will work with the SENCO and class teacher at his Primary school to ensure that we understand your son’s needs and can plan for them when he moves to us. Sometimes we will attend annual review meetings and specialist service meetings at primary schools to help us gather all the relevant information. We will also arrange extra visits to Kings Heath Boys to help with your son’s transition. As your son approaches the end of his time at Kings Heath Boys we will work with him to ensure he has high aspirations about employment and further education. Discussions about students’ futures will focus on what they want to achieve and the best way we can support them. Helping them consider the right post-16 option is part of this planning. In Year 10 our Careers, Information and Guidance Co-ordinator will support students to explore courses and places of study. In Year 11 the school will work to ensure students have firm plans for their post-16 options. Any information about previous SEN provision will be shared by the SENCO with the further education or training provider.

13) How can I find the Birmingham Local Authority’s Local Offer?

For more information on Birmingham Local Authority’s Local Offer and other support you can receive go to https://www.localofferbirmingham.co.uk/